Organizing Through The Hoarding:
Guidance for Professional Organizers
How are clients who hoard different from my other clients?
Why is it so difficult for my clients to get a handle on their clutter?
What strategies can I use when working with my clients?
How did possessions take control of their lives?
This day-long training is exclusively for Professional Organizers and those who are working with clients in extremely cluttered environments. Through a blend of lecture and discussion, led by Elspeth Bell, Ph.D., participants will:
- Learn about Hoarding Disorder
- Identify ways to support clients with hoarding problems
- Address barriers in the working relationship with regards to hoarding
- Develop strategies for working toward reducing clutter
- Connect with hoarding-specific resources
Additional topics addressed include:
- Characteristics of Hoarding Disorder
- Mental health issues associated with hoarding behaviors
- Maintaining Balance and Boundaries
This workshop is open to Professional Organizers and other clutter specialists ($125/person)and is considered CEU-Eligible for CPOs working with hoarding clients.
|8:30 – 9am||Check-In|
Coffee is available
9am – 12pm Understanding The Client
- Identifying hoarding behaviors and how they differ from cluttering behaviors
- Recognizing the mental health elements associated with hoarding behaviors
- Assessing for possible hoarding behaviors in your client
- Incorporating an understanding of underlying hoarding issues into decluttering plans
12 – 1pm Lunch On Your Own
1 – 4pm In The Cluttered Home
- Strategies for engaging with your hoarding client in the decluttering process
- Creating goals and realistic interventions
- Identifying opportunities for collaboration with other professionals
- Incorporating self-care into your work with hoarding clients